Friday, August 27, 2010

Green Acres - Tofu No-Egg Salad



Tonight I went to GreenAcres Market to pick up the ingredients I need to make Corn Chowder (see previous posting). Since Ava is in Goodland visiting Grandma and Grandad Campbell, I had all the time I needed to walk through the store to see what they have available for Vegans - something I could never do before when I had her with me. As I was walking through the deli, I came across the tell-tale premade sandwiches. Every deli has them and I avoid them at all costs. They have never looked appetizing or healthy, and I always believed if I ate one I would be feeling the effects of it by bedtime. Today, however, was different. I noticed a Tofu No-Egg Salad Sandwich. It looked fresh and the bread still smelled like it came out of the oven only minutes before. I had read eggless egg salad recipes before, but never made it myself. I was curious...and hungry, so I bought one.

It. Was. Amazing!

I have to admit I thought it would be gross, but it wasn't. It was so wonderful and full of flavor. The veggies were crisp, the salad seasoned, and the bread was soft. It was WONDERFUL!

Another bonus: the sandwich was so filling, I could only eat half. Now I can enjoy it again tomorrow!

I encourage anyone who has the opportunity to visit GreenAcres in Wichita or Kansas City to buy this sandwich. You can also buy the no-egg salad in the deli to take home to make your own sandwiches.

I don't know the recipe, but I have the ingredients and will try to mimic it soon. If you recognize these items from a recipe you've used or seen, please let me know.




  • Ingredients: firm tofu, spike seasoning, onion powder, dry mustard, cider vinegar, celery, red onion, salt, vegenaise - on multigrain bread

    GreeAcres
    Bradley Fair
    8141 E. 21st St.
    Wichita, KS 67206
    316-634-1088
    Hours: 8am-9pm M-F; 10am-7pm Sat.

    GreenAcres
    Briarcliff Village
    4175 Mulberry Drive
    Kansas City, MO 64116
    816-746-0010

1 comment:

bourgeois gal said...

Brent makes this all the time. I'll try to find the recipe and post it for you! He also LOVES it!