Thursday, November 20, 2008

Italian Beef

NOT VEGAN: This recipe was added to this site before I transitioned into vegan recipes.  I left it on this site for reference to the recipe when I cook for family members who are not vegan.

I found this recipe online and what a gift it is! AJ loves this meal and it is definitely different from anything I’ve made before.

2-3 cans beef broth (equaling at least 3 cups)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. onion salt
1 tsp. dried parsley
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 bay leaf
2 .7 ounce dry Italian dressing mix
1 2 – 2.5 lb. chuck roast
pepperoni
extra sharp provolone cheese, slices


Directions:
1. Combine broth with salt, ground pepper, oregano, basil, onion salt, parsley, garlic powder, bay leaf, and salad dressing mix in a saucepan. Stir well and bring to a boil.
2. Place roast in crock-pot and pour salad dressing mixture over the meat. Add a few pepperonis to taste.
3. Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours or on high for 4-5 hours. When done, remove bay leaf, and shred meat with a fork.
After 8 hours, I remove meat from the crock-pot and shred with a fork. Meat should be very tender! I then add meat back to crock-pot and let cook for the next 1-2 hours, allowing the meat to soak up as much juice and flavor as possible.
4· I serve on toasted hoagie rolls or hamburger buns with a bunch of optional toppings...sautéed mushrooms, red onion, sliced pepperoni, and sliced roasted peppers.
5· Run sandwiches under the broiler in the oven to melt the cheese.

No comments: