Saturday, February 13, 2010

Shiloh Farms Oragnic Soup


Tonight I made a BIG dinner. I haven't made a "real" dinner in awhile. To me a real dinner is a meal with plenty of options so everyone can find something they like, and preferably hot. Since I am the only vegan in the house, I try to make one meal with one meat dish. Tonight's table consisted of mushroom and onion meatballs, egg noodles, and Shiloh Farms Organic Soup (recipe on the box, I omitted the chicken and added two chicken flavored bullion cubes - chicken free of course!): Harmony Blend. I bought the soup mix at the healthy foods store yesterday. It was a 15oz box of organic wheat, organic red rice, and organic barley mixed with 5 different types of organic beans and legumes. The soup does require the addition of carrots, onion, and celery, and two spices I hadn't heard of before. That said, I still thought the soup would make enough for two adults to have one-two cups of soup at dinner and maybe one for lunch the next day. I was wrong. I could easily have fed a family of six with this one soup mix and possibly still have leftovers. The soup mix was less than five dollars, add maybe three dollars worth of veggies and the soup could feed a family for under $10. However, there is the initial cost of the seasoning - Garlic Salt, Turmeric, and Savory. If you don't already have these in your spice cabinet they will each run you close to $4. They will last for a VERY long time, so even though the first time you make the soup you may feel you are spending quite a lot, it won't always be that way. Check out all the soups and other available Shiloh Farms products at http://www.shilohfarms.com/!


UPDATE: As of 2/15/10 I am still eating the soup twice a day. This stuff goes a LONG way and it is still as good and flavorful as the day it was made. A super soup choice!

No comments: